Search This Blog

Tuesday 31 March 2015

Nietzsche's philosophy on Pokémon- A Short Essay


Recently I was spitting through my old stuff when I came across something I've lost for a very long time. My game boy and Pokémon games.
Eager as I was, I immediately charged my completely energy drained console and popped in Pokemon Yellow.
The moment the theme song started playing I was overwhelmed with nostalgia and I couldn't understand why I had ever stopped playing it.
While playing, one question kept me thinking: ‘What was it about this rather simple game that made me waste my time collecting creatively imagined animals?’
This question can be answered rather easily.
You see, it combines two strong urges of the human being.
The first is the will to power and the second is the will to improve.
Friedrich Nietzsche has described the human being as a human in need for power (or with other words possession.)
This concept is known in German by the term: der Wille zu Macht.
According to Nietzsche the sole driving force of humans is the will to overcome their goals and have power over them.
With other words to possess them, as is the case with Pokémon.
Namely, the main goal for you as trainer is to achieve all 150 Pokémon and with them become the ultimate Pokémon Master.
With this goal for eyes the one playing this game is letting these animals obey to their will by competing in tournaments, thus performing their Wille zu Macht.
To make my point clear, this quote will demonstrate why this game is so addictive:

“What is good? All that enhances the feeling of power, der Wille zu Macht and the Power itself in man. What is bad? All that proceeds from weakness. What is happiness? (In this case the good feeling achieved after winning a battle and achieving a badge) The feeling that power is increasing- that resistance has been overcome (!!!) Not contentment ,but more power; not peace at any price, but war; not virtue, but competence…”
-Friedrich Netzsche

I can remember spending hours and hours trying to collect all Pokémon, but unfortunately I couldn't catch ‘em all.
The point raised by Nietzsche about this game, has left me in stitches. On the one hand it conforms the player in his ultimate need, on the other side it manipulates the gamer in wanting to further the story.
Either way, the moment the resistance has overcome and the player can glorify himself for the amazing gamer he is, is the moment I have lost my interest and with that mein Wille zu Macht.

(Take this with a grain of salt please.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment